Wednesday, June 18, 2008
We need your help today! Rep Kathy Angerer promised the autism community that, as Chair of the House Health Policy Committee, there would be a hearing and our bills would have a vote in the month of June. However, we are getting strong indications that, due to pressure from the UAW (who have stated opposition to the bills) and the fact that this is an election year, Rep. Angerer may decide not to hold a vote!
We are asking you to PLEASE CALL Rep Angerer's office today!!! We need to flood her office with calls from anyone and everyone---if you care about these bills, call TODAY!!! 517-373-1792 As committee chair, all MI residents are her consituents! Please forward this email to friends, family and others in our community.Please tell her that you support House bills 5527 and 5529 and that you want her to keep her word and vote the bills out of her committee. If you are a UAW member, please let her know and tell her that the UAW leadership is NOT representing your interests. Please let her know that the UAW leadership has not discussed their position with their members. UAW members, not it's leadership, represent a lot of VOTES! Please let her know that you expect these bills to move out of her committee before the end of June - just as she has promised!!
AIM Position Statement
2) all people with ASD should be covered, regardless of age.
3) Autism Spectrum Disorder is defined as any of the pervasive developmental disorders as defined by the most recent edition of the DSM.
4) this coverage should include treatments as prescribed or ordered by the insured's treating physician or psychologist and that no insurer may deny coverage for an individual based solely on the fact that the individual is diagnosed with an ASD.
5) covered treatments shall not be subject to visit limits.
6) there should be a provision for an expedited arbitration process if an insurance company denies coverage or changes coverage status.
7) coverage should not be construed as limiting access to benefits or other services that are otherwise available to an individual.
List of Supporting Organizations as of 4/23/10
Ann Arbor Families for Autistic Children's Education and Support
Autism Advisory Group
Autism Insurance in Michigan (AIM)
Autism Resource Network
Autism Society of America
Autism Society of America - Oakland County Chapter
Autism Society of Washtenaw County
Autism Society of WestShore
Autism SpeaksAutism Alliance of Michigan
Behavior Analysts Association of Michigan
Detroit Medical Center
Elder Disability Rights Association Section of the State Bar of Michigan
Family Chiropractic Clinic
First Capital Directories
Fravel Financial Services
GFWC Madison Heights Intermediate Womens Club
Glenn Buege Chevrolet
Henry Ford Health System
Kaufman Children's Center for Speech, Language, Sensory-Motor & Social Connections, Inc.
Michael James Associates
Michigan Association of Elementary and Middle School Principals
Michigan Association of IntermediateSchool Administrators
Michigan Association of School Administrators
Michigan Association of School Boards
Michigan Association of School Psychologists
Michigan Association of School Social Workers
Michigan Council for Maternal and Child Health
Michigan Nurses Association
Michigan Pharmacists Association
Michigan Secondary School Principals Association
Michigan Speech Language Hearing Association
Middle Cities Education Association
Monroe IntermediateSchool District
National Alliance on Mental Illness - Michigan Chapter (member of Partners for Parity)
National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section
The Abilities Center
The Ann Arbor Center for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District