Thursday, November 13, 2008
AIM Committee Meeting 10.30.08
1. To work with Michigan stakeholders to enact legislation which requires insurance carried to provide coverage for autism related treaments.
2. Review revised draft for legislation
3. Review team assignments
4. Review list of supporting organizations
5. Reivew opposition
6. Develop strategy
7. Develop timetable
Thursday, November 6th, 2008
Noon - 1:00 pm Conference Call
Follow-up after election results
AIM Position Statement
2) all people with ASD should be covered, regardless of age.
3) Autism Spectrum Disorder is defined as any of the pervasive developmental disorders as defined by the most recent edition of the DSM.
4) this coverage should include treatments as prescribed or ordered by the insured's treating physician or psychologist and that no insurer may deny coverage for an individual based solely on the fact that the individual is diagnosed with an ASD.
5) covered treatments shall not be subject to visit limits.
6) there should be a provision for an expedited arbitration process if an insurance company denies coverage or changes coverage status.
7) coverage should not be construed as limiting access to benefits or other services that are otherwise available to an individual.
List of Supporting Organizations as of 4/23/10
Ann Arbor Families for Autistic Children's Education and Support
Autism Advisory Group
Autism Insurance in Michigan (AIM)
Autism Resource Network
Autism Society of America
Autism Society of America - Oakland County Chapter
Autism Society of Washtenaw County
Autism Society of WestShore
Autism SpeaksAutism Alliance of Michigan
Behavior Analysts Association of Michigan
Detroit Medical Center
Elder Disability Rights Association Section of the State Bar of Michigan
Family Chiropractic Clinic
First Capital Directories
Fravel Financial Services
GFWC Madison Heights Intermediate Womens Club
Glenn Buege Chevrolet
Henry Ford Health System
Kaufman Children's Center for Speech, Language, Sensory-Motor & Social Connections, Inc.
Michael James Associates
Michigan Association of Elementary and Middle School Principals
Michigan Association of IntermediateSchool Administrators
Michigan Association of School Administrators
Michigan Association of School Boards
Michigan Association of School Psychologists
Michigan Association of School Social Workers
Michigan Council for Maternal and Child Health
Michigan Nurses Association
Michigan Pharmacists Association
Michigan Secondary School Principals Association
Michigan Speech Language Hearing Association
Middle Cities Education Association
Monroe IntermediateSchool District
National Alliance on Mental Illness - Michigan Chapter (member of Partners for Parity)
National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section
The Abilities Center
The Ann Arbor Center for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District