Sunday, April 13, 2008
8 Days Until the Rally on the Capitol steps 4/22!
Make sure to bring-
1. Folding chairs for you and family--drop off chairs prior to parking so you don't have to carry
2. Sack lunch- we will have some bottles of water free to attendees(while supplies last)
3. Digital camera so that you can email pictures of the rally to your local paper.
4. We will have over 500 signs made but feel free to bring your own, or bring a picture of your child and we can tape it to an already made sign. We will have tape available to do this.
So far unfortunately, we will not be providing any buses.
We will have people ready to find out who your Rep and Senators are so that you can go visit them in their offices. Make sure you find your way to those designated tables.
Parking: During weekdays, parking is a major problem around the Capitol. Although there is metered parking on all streets around Capitol Square, it is not adequate to handle the number of individuals who desire to park close to the Capitol. There are six parking ramps within three blocks of the Capitol: Boji Parking Ramp at the corner of Capitol and Allegan, the ramp at the corner of Townsend and Washtenaw, the City Parking Ramp at Capitol and Kalamazoo, the City Parking Ramp at the intersection of Allegan and Grand, the City Parking Ramp at Ottawa and Grand, and the City Parking Ramp at Capitol and Shiawassee. Parking space for cars and vans is also available in the Michigan Library and Historical Center parking lot.
Also, for a map of the Capitol's parking areas go to PARKING
To get directions to the Capitol, go to MAPQUEST
For talking points when you meet with you legislator, go to Talking Points
To print a sign, go to SIGN
AIM Position Statement
2) all people with ASD should be covered, regardless of age.
3) Autism Spectrum Disorder is defined as any of the pervasive developmental disorders as defined by the most recent edition of the DSM.
4) this coverage should include treatments as prescribed or ordered by the insured's treating physician or psychologist and that no insurer may deny coverage for an individual based solely on the fact that the individual is diagnosed with an ASD.
5) covered treatments shall not be subject to visit limits.
6) there should be a provision for an expedited arbitration process if an insurance company denies coverage or changes coverage status.
7) coverage should not be construed as limiting access to benefits or other services that are otherwise available to an individual.
List of Supporting Organizations as of 4/23/10
Ann Arbor Families for Autistic Children's Education and Support
Autism Advisory Group
Autism Insurance in Michigan (AIM)
Autism Resource Network
Autism Society of America
Autism Society of America - Oakland County Chapter
Autism Society of Washtenaw County
Autism Society of WestShore
Autism SpeaksAutism Alliance of Michigan
Behavior Analysts Association of Michigan
Detroit Medical Center
Elder Disability Rights Association Section of the State Bar of Michigan
Family Chiropractic Clinic
First Capital Directories
Fravel Financial Services
GFWC Madison Heights Intermediate Womens Club
Glenn Buege Chevrolet
Henry Ford Health System
Kaufman Children's Center for Speech, Language, Sensory-Motor & Social Connections, Inc.
Michael James Associates
Michigan Association of Elementary and Middle School Principals
Michigan Association of IntermediateSchool Administrators
Michigan Association of School Administrators
Michigan Association of School Boards
Michigan Association of School Psychologists
Michigan Association of School Social Workers
Michigan Council for Maternal and Child Health
Michigan Nurses Association
Michigan Pharmacists Association
Michigan Secondary School Principals Association
Michigan Speech Language Hearing Association
Middle Cities Education Association
Monroe IntermediateSchool District
National Alliance on Mental Illness - Michigan Chapter (member of Partners for Parity)
National Council of Jewish Women, Greater Detroit Section
The Abilities Center
The Ann Arbor Center for Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics
Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District